If you’re on a low carb diet, then you know the grief and suffering that comes from the absence of bread. For me, it used to be a staple at every meal– toast with breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, and even more bread with dinner. Why not!? It’s soooo dang good.
Fortunately, you can still eat bread while keeping your carb count low! You can thank coconut and almond flour for that. I’ve always got my pantry stocked full of both of these flours because they compliment each other really well.
Almond Flour vs. Coconut Flour
Both flours are low carb, high in fiber, high in protein and gluten free. They are a great substitute for regular flour if you’re following a low carb or ketogenic diet. Often times, I think they are better mixed because they both have their own qualities.
Almond flour is my favorite because it has a very neutral flavor. It creates the moistest muffins and breads because it doesn’t soak up moisture like coconut flour. You usually have to double or even quadruple the amount of almond flour when substituting for coconut flour. Unfortunately, a lot of people have nut allergies and aren’t able to enjoy this flour.
Coconut flour is higher in Omega 3’s which is known as a great anti-inflammatory. I personally think it’s the healthier of the two flours, but the flavor is quite strong and can overwhelm a lot of recipes if you over use it. It’s also incredibly absorbent, so you tend to get a drier outcome with most recipes. However, it gives bread the structure it needs so it doesn’t just fall apart.
These two flours compliment each other really well in this recipe.
Keep calm and make bread in the microwave.
I discovered mug cakes and breads a few years ago, and have been hooked ever since. It’s such a crazy concept to me, but with the right ingredients, you can actually get pretty good results– and in just a few minutes!
This easy mug bread is definitely better toasted with a little butter. It really makes all the difference! It reminds me of an english muffin only a little softer and less dry.
I like to change it up a bit every time I make it with different seasonings and herbs, but my favorite additions are definitely garlic powder and a little rosemary. Cheese is also good! Duh.
Easy Microwave Low Carb Bread
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp almond flour
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- garlic powder, herbs or spices of your choice
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, flours, milk, olive oil, baking powder and salt. Add in the herbs and cheese, if using, and stir to combine.
- Pour the batter into a small microwave safe bowl or wide mug and microwave for 90 seconds.
- Place the mug or bowl upside down on a cutting board or plate and let the bread slide out. Cut it crosswise making two round english muffin shaped biscuits.
- To toast, place the bread rounds on a high heat skillet with a touch of butter or oil for 30-60 seconds on each side.
- The combination of the coconut flour and almond flour give this biscuit just the right amount of structure and moisture. If you are using just coconut flour, I would only use 1.5 tbsps. If you are using just almond flour, you will probably need 3-4 tbsps.
- This multi purpose bread can be eaten as toast or sandwich bread! It’s absolutely delicious with a fried egg, a few slices of bacon, cheese and avocado piled on in between.